11.16.2006

 

New York's Worst Nightmare Come True: Delilah On 106.7 Lite FM

We go from project... to projectile vomiting.
If the mere rumor of it made you a little nauseous seven years ago, reading the news on AllAccess.com or Radio and Records probably hit you like a bird flu.
The part about PD Jim Ryan "customizing" her show for New York (as has been hinted in a past Daily News story) has been confirmed. But there's another angle of this story that seems to be coming out of left field: They're apparently keeping the "Lite at Night" name that J.J. Kennedy had made popular over the last couple decades, and rebranding the show as - get ready to cringe - "Delilah's Lite at Night". Yecch!
The following quotes are from the Radio & Records article (click here) :
What Jim Ryan says: "I've spent time with Delilah and her team since they became a part of Premiere. I have the greatest respect for how well the show relates to the audience and it is going to be great to have a superstar like Delilah on the WLTW air staff in New York."
What Jim Ryan actually means: "It's going to be quite interesting hearing Delilah talking to an emotional caller segueing into "You Should Be Dancing" - which is in hot rotation! This will clearly give Casey Kasem's famous "dead dog dedication" a run for the money!"
Nah, I can't be one to put words in Jim Ryan's mouth. So allow me to speak for Delilah:
What Delilah says: “I couldn’t be more excited about talking to people in one of my favorite cities in the world, New York. I know the connection between Lite FM and its listeners is profound and I consider it a real honor to be a part of that relationship. I can’t wait to laugh and cry with my new listeners and share in their lives.”
What Delilah actually means: "Despite the fact that I have never lived in New York, or most of my callers have probably never spent more than a single week in New York, it really strokes my ego that I put a legendary jock out to pasture just so I can be heard in the greatest city in the world - which, I wouldn't know for sure, since I'm here in Seattle, where the suicide rate's as high as the Empire State Building! Hey, I just made a New York reference - was that good? Anyway, Delilah is now on in New York, so start spreading the news - oooh, another sly New York reference - damn, I'm good - actually, I know I am, because I'm now on in Market Number One... and I'm looking forward to being on in New York for years to come."
What Delilah actually means (alternate version) : "Cha-ching!"
Now, perhaps I'm speaking a little outside the lines here, since I, a blue collar 30-year-old straight male isn't in her target demographic. But trust me, if you observed the radio business like I observe the radio business... you'd be saying the same thing, too.
Comments:
Laugh and cry and share in their lives??? I admit, I'm completely out of her demographic as well, but this is just too much!
 
I just did a Google search of "I hate Delilah" - not too many hits... I was, however, able to unearth this gem:

The I Hate Delilah Website. Apparently it's no longer online - still some good articles.
 
I am part of Delilah's target demographic (age 52 + female + living quietly in the 'burbs'of Connecticut) and I rarely listen to AC radio, except when I go for my dental check-ups;I listen to a diverse range of music,everything from the Beastie Boys to Emmy Lou Harris to Motzart and much more. Who is doing the research for my age group and gender, and whom are they surveying? I wish they would contact me.
The AC genre far too boring and Delilah is far too schmaltzy for my taste. Yikes! Be aware that not all 52-year-old women are listening to this junk. I agree with you Joe and Chuck.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?